The Love Note Story
The Love Note Story
- The Love Notes began as little personal notes of acknowledgement in birthday and holiday cards to family and friends. Words have long come easily to me and stringing them together to acknowledge people for the special magic they bring to the world around them, a favourite pastime.
- In 2012/3, the fun got expanded and I began making a bunch of the little folded notes to hand out randomly to people I encountered in an otherwise pretty boring job. The little fun surprise brightened many people's day.
- I was having so much fun with them! They went from being hand-written and folded to being photocopied (yes, still my handwriting), then rolled and banded with a sparkly length of pipecleaner ... and still handed out randomly. It was then that people began to notice the magical quality they held - they had an uncanny way of landing in just the right hands!
- The Love Notes went ‘commercial’ in 2013 when a friend asked if she could buy some to share at a Rotary Gala dinner. They were a hit when the keynote speaker held his up to start his speech!
- They soon got an upgrade and landed in colourful organza bags. All the Love Notes thus far were written in my ‘chicken scratch’ handwriting and complaints of illegibility were piling up. (a few of those 'originals' are still available but are no longer being made!) 'Large Print' notes were created for children, elders and those with a basic understanding of english.
- A few local stores began buying them to offer their customers one at special times of the year. Soon after, they were carried for sale in 3 local stores - with no tags!
- It would be another year (or 2!) before they’d get a little descriptor tag added so that local shops might be able to more easily sell them!
- At some point (I'll need to check dates) the Love Notes 'collection' expanded to include Love Notes for all, for 12 yrs & up, en français, and for lovers.
- Love Notes were pretty much all rolled by me ... well me and friends and family who I happened to be with when larger orders were placed. For a full 7 years! They probably wouldn’t still be around but for the priceless response those little gems get!
- The Love Note roller team was officially expanded just days before the first lockdown in March 2020. Andrew, Nicole and Shelby, 3 young adults with special needs began helping to grow the Love Note stocks. For 2 of them, it was their very first income-generating job! Though only Andrew and his mom remain active rollers, the idea of creating opportunities for those in our communities who do not easily find ways to be included in contributing meaningfully and to earn an income remains important to the essence of the Love Notes. Making a difference with everyone they touch is important.
- The Love Notes celebrate 10 years in 2023! That anniversary is inspiring a move to make them a sustainable business rather than simply a labour of love. We're looking forward to getting more magic out ... wider and farther ... in the making and the sharing of Love Notes.
Beautiful Love Note stories have always been a part of the bigger Love Note story! Over and over and over again, I’ve seen and heard from so many, about the way someone’s day, or sense of themselves was shifted, the conversations that arose ... when these little notes showed up and launched their magic! No question! It’s absolutely why they are still being printed, cut, rolled, banded, bagged, tagged, shipped and shared!
Thanks to all who have shared their stories!
© Copyright Making A Difference Together